Friday, November 27, 2009

Question about the Myspaces?

I posted this same question in both the parenting and the computer/myspace section and I didn't find what I was looking for, but was bashed by (I hope by children and teens) for wanting to "spy" on my child. So please don't report me for posting here which seems to have some relatively bright adults here... I TRUST my 13 yr.-old daughter, but want to keep safety first. Does anyone know the best software in which to use to watch a child's safety on the internet, particularly Myspace? Note: I've already made her space "private," have her password and keep the computer in the livingroom. The computer history just doesn't show you everything. I'd be a neglectful mother if I didn't watch my child's safety. Any thoughts on software?



Question about the Myspaces?

My Space.... is full of Hackers.... and Child.. Predators ... POSING AS...... Adolescents....!



Do not allow her.... ADULT PRIVACY..... and Always SEE WHAT AND WHO.... she is Communicating WITH?



May I suggest a... PSEUDO-NAME....ALSO? I use one when on Any Site....!



Also... Email Addresses can be... TRACKED....! MOM.... YOU HAVE to Monitor ALL COMMUNICATION.....!



There is TRACKING SOFTWARE.... that will enable... "YOU"... to see... ALL SITES AND COMMUNICTIONS... Visited....!



And... WHAT IF.... she goes to ...A Friends HOUSE.... and opens a Secret Account.... From....THERE? ? ?



I remember.... How Sneaky I WAS... AT THAT AGE?



Thanks for Asking ! RR



Question about the Myspaces?

If you taught her right, then she will not be stupid while on myspace.



I'm on myspace and I know that meeting up with strangers is dumb, so just teach her right things. Hopefully you already did.



You checking will not help.



Question about the Myspaces?

I am in the same situation with my 11 year old...hope you get some good answers!



Question about the Myspaces?

I think the main thing to do would be to make sure that she understands safety. You should teach her well, then you wouldn't have to worry about her so much. If you trust her, that she knows what is right and wrong (which she should learn from you) then you won't have to spy on her, and keep such tabs on her all the time.



I went back and read the answers you got in the "Adolesent" category, and most of them are really good answers. I hope you are not saying they are bad, or "must be from kids" just because they disagree with you. If you just look for people who think the same way that you do, its going to be very hard in this world....since everyone has an opinion. good luck.



Question about the Myspaces?

I don't have many thoughts on software but I would STRONGLY caution you on you level of "safety" that you are trying to provide. I understand that you child is 13 y/o and still a minor but she is slowly becoming an adult and as such you need to start trusting her and her decision making abilities. If I was you I would try to make a pack with your daughter to ALWAYS be truthful when it comes to the Internet, if ANYTHING seems suspicious she needs to come to you about and as long as she doesn't give you a reason to "evade her privacy" than you will respect it. Hope you can find a middle ground with your daughter and the Internet. Good Luck.



Question about the Myspaces?

no ideas on software, but KUDOS to you for putting your child's safety first. I completely agree with you on this, and support your decision. It's not an invasion of privacy when there are so many dangers in the world now a days. I am even scared to have children myself because of it. Your daughter is lucky to have such a wonderful and caring mother, and I am glad you have taken so many precautions... maybe she can be an example of what children should be taught.



Question about the Myspaces?

Okay im sorry to be a terrible teenager but if you trust her then why do u need to spy on her like this??? do you have too much time on ur hands or what? its so unnecessary. Im sorry myspace is rather safe and not much can be done on it.



Your poor child, she has no life, she has to grow up and learn for herself without you watching her every move. Give her some space.



Question about the Myspaces?

While I can understand your concern for your child's safety, unless she has given you cause you shouldn't be spying on her.. I am not bashing you just saying that trust goes a long way. You have her password which means she must trust you a lot.



I would suggest doing some research for software because there are so many out there. If you are looking in the history and not finding what you think should be there then you aren't looking in the right place and if she is bright enough to erase things you can still find out where she went without installing any spyware or other software. Just get familiar with the computer.



Question about the Myspaces?

If you don't trust her, then take the computer away...cuz you will never know everything (if she is trying to do the wrong thing). But if you have taught her well, then you should have nothing to worry about. good luck.



Question about the Myspaces?

Kudos to you! A 13 year old GIRL has no privacy rights. unless the mother doesnt give a D*^%26amp;M.



Myspace is great, but there are a lot of sic individuals that use it terribly. There are too many predators out there online who believe they are not doing anything wrong when it comes to matters of young girls. You are doing everything great in regards to her myspace, and yes there is software tailored especially for this.If she has multiple email accounts theres not much you can do about that. what can you do if she makes another myspace acct? have you yourself made one. i think that would be important and to be added to her friends list. so you can communicate with her on there and kinda see whats going on. Im in my late 20's and my friends keep their parents friends and family on there. no crime in that. if im correct it, that software will record instant messaging all that stuff. however i dont know what its called. I think on Opera once discussed this and reccomended something. Dont hold me to it, may not had been operah. hope this helps and good for you for protecting your child



Question about the Myspaces?

Limit their time on the computer and be sure your present while she is online. put the computer in a open space in the house, not that a teen would try to hide anything. give her a little credit if she is a good kid. Trust me when I tell you that you dont want to know everything going on between her and her friends because it changes from day to day. they have more problems from people running their mouths then we as adults do in our lives.



Question about the Myspaces?

I understand your need for the safety. I know that when my daughter gets older(she's only 4 months now), I will be making sure that she is safe with whatever she's doing online. By then can you imagine how advanced everything is going to be geesh..lol



But anyways, if you want to be able to record all of the stuff that she's doing you can purchase a key logger at http://www.netbus.org/ . I just looked at them they say they record everything, but the downfall is that they are 100.00. It just really depends on how much you value your daughters safety.



Just be sure you let her know that it's on there, so that way she don't feel blind sighted when confronted about her internet activity. :)



Question about the Myspaces?

First I want to say that I am a 36 y/o Soldier in Iraq so that is why I even have the time to be on this site. Sometimes I spend time here, because I am in between missions. I would rather use my extra time to help another, than sit here and waste my time on petty things.



You are doing the right thing by being concerned for your 13 y/o child. I stress child. She has not seen the evils of society . They are not mature enough to understand men and what they want. You should be supervising her internet experiences. I wouldn't be too much on the extreme. You need to build trust and too much "hawking" will damage the relationship that you need to have when she will really need your help. (High School) years. If she thinks that you are always in her business than she may not trust you and shut you out in the times of trouble during high school.



I would keep her My Space account private, but tell her that at anytime you may do a surprise check on what she is doing on the internet. If she is doing the right thing than there will be nothing for her to worry about. If she is doing something that may be on too high of a level, than bring her back down to a 13 year old's world. I am happy to see that there are still parents who are "parenting" This is why our children of today do not have the respect and discipline needed to grow up into healthy mature adults. Too many parents have ignored there role as a "parent."



Question about the Myspaces?

Mom, stop fooling yourself that you can trust your teen.



Just have NO myspace, or any other social networking site for her. Have her call, text or email her friends.



You also need to make sure personal information or pics of her aren't on her friends' sites!



Question about the Myspaces?

I have the same rules as you with my 13 year old son. One other rule that you might want to implement is "friends from school only" or "friends that you already know in person". I know everyone on his friends list, no strangers allowed. Period. Look over her list consistently and make sure she is only talking to friends. If you feel like she's doing things to get around the rules, install some software to see what her activities are.



Question about the Myspaces?

How about NO myspace?! She's 13, it's not the end of the world if she doesn't have one. Wait until shes older and knows better. 13 is too young %26amp; she is in no way responsible/mature/smart enough to be on there dealing with those situations. Instead of worrying about the pedophiles, why not just avoid the entire situation? If she wants to chat with her friends online, theres instant messengers/email, as well as the good old cell phone/texts.



I'm 26 %26amp; married, and have a myspace to keep up with old friends. It is SCARY as a parent myself to see what kind of perverted people are on that site, and even I feel uncomfortable at times. 13 is still a child, I would eliminate it asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd